Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tomorrow marks the start of Ramadan, and I have decided to observe this holiday and ritual with Ilker this year...and kind of keep a diary of my experience on here :)

So to start, I thought I would offer a brief explanation of what Ramadan is and what it means. Ramadan represents the month that Muslims believe Allah revealed the first verses of the Qur'an. During this month, Muslims fast. This means that they do not eat or drink (including water) during the daylight hours. Fasting serves many purposes. It serves to make Muslims more empathetic toward the poor-to have a greater understanding of what it means to be in need of the basic fundamentals for living. It also gives them an opportunity to practice controlling the body and the mind, and cleanses both. Fasting allows is a demonstration of their religious devotion.

For me, I believe participating in this sacred ritual together will strengthen mine and the HTB's relationship. It will allow me to really show him my level of commitment and devotion to our relationship, and understanding all facets of it on every level. Personally, I believe this will be a good challenge for my mind, body, and soul. To commit to something and test my personal limits. I have been pre-fasting for three days, and while it hasnt been easy, it also hasnt been impossible. I am looking forward to seeing how my mind/body can handle this, and to see the changes that will be made. I also plan to use this time to do a lot of introspection and "soul searching"...and to also really focus on expanding my knowledge of Islam, the Turkish culture, and most importantly the language.

So, among other goings ons in our life, I will try to keep an update/diary of my adjusting to this challenge...as well as my "turkish lesson" progress :)

Wish me luck! and now I am off to prep the kitchen for our 3:30 AM breakfast before fasting begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment